I'd like to know how to ask (colloquially) for a cinema ticket in German.

In English I'd say

"Can I have a ticket for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 please"

or

"One ticket for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 please".

I just went to the cinema and said

"Ein Ticket für Guardians of the Galaxy 2 bitte"

and the girl understood.

To not exactly fit one of our close reasons you should state what you think the translation should be and why you are unsure about it. – Carsten S May 5 '17 at 18:06
  • I think that would influence the answer negatively seen as though I'm looking for something colloquial. – Joseph Dieudonné May 5 '17 at 18:12
  • Tell us, what you think could be correct. Then we will tell you if you are right or wrong. But we do not translate! – Hubert Schölnast May 5 '17 at 20:40
  • Okay, I concede. I've added what I said, and I'll ask a friend what they would say to get the uninfluenced answer. – Joseph Dieudonné May 5 '17 at 22:04

Your proposal is absolutely fine and very common:

Ein Ticket für Guardians of the Galaxy 2 bitte.

This is what I would say because it emphasizes even more that you want a single ticket:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 für eine Person bitte.

These are also fine:

Ich hätte gern ein Ticket für Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Einmal Guardians of the Galaxy 2 bitte.

Instead of Ticket you will also often hear the word Karte.

@JosephDieudonné: In German, Ticket is a loanword, imported from English. It is well understood, and used more and more, but it's not a German word. The German word is Eintrittskarte (literal: entrance ticket), but the vast majority just says Karte (ticket but also card). When you drive with the bus or by train, you need a Fahrkarte (riding ticket) or a Fahrschein (literal: riding certificate). You can say Karte too for this, but its not so common in this case. And do not mix up Fahrschein with Führerschein. The later is driving licence, you need it to steer a car. – Hubert Schölnast May 6 '17 at 7:45
  • @HubertSchölnast: "It is well understood, and used more and more" - in its meaning as an admission permit. In English, the term has a wider meaning (e.g. a "parking ticket" issued for unlawful parking), which is probably not understood well by many German-speaking people. – O. R. Mapper May 6 '17 at 20:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.