Can I use the phrase

Es geht um eine Frage.

instead of

Ich habe eine Frage.

What are the differences between them and can I use both for the same situation?

"Es geht um eine Frage," means, "it goes to the question of... " (an abstract concept, e.g, politeness, righteousness, scientific method, etc., in a general, objective sense of the word).

"Ich habe eine Frage, means "I have a question about..." (that is particular to me).

Apart from sharing the word "question," the two expressions are not alike.

Es geht um eine Frage …

typically introduces sentences like this:

Es geht um eine Frage der Gerechtigkeit.

Es geht um eine Frage, die nicht leicht zu beantworten ist.

So, no, this phrase does not replace Ich habe eine Frage.

In addition to Janka's answer (which is correct and sufficient) I would - just for exploration of the depths and widths of language usage - present one possible context where "Es geht um eine Frage" anyway would work in the sense of "Ich habe eine Frage", i.e. for preparing an interlocutor to listening to a question:

Entschuldigen Sie bitte, dürfte ich mich kurz an Sie wenden? Es geht um eine Frage: Ich möchte gerne wissen, ob...

Of course, out there in the wild you would not often meet a polite and circumstantial address like this. In much more frequent use is the famously rude

Ich hab da mal ne Frage...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.