Wenn du es getan hast, hat sie das vielleicht eher noch darin bestärkt, dass sie recht hat!

I'm torn between two interpretations here:

1. Contrary to your expectations, it only served to have her convinced that ...

You did something in the hope of turning around the situation, only to have her convinced that ...

Noch {einschränkend} is close in meaning to nur.

1. By doing that, you made her all the more convinced that ...

The same noch as the one used in the {Vergleichen} locution such as "noch stärker" with the meaning of "even more / still more".

• Both your interpretations could apply based on the (minimum) German sentence - Without further context, you wouldn't know how to translate (and that is true even if you omit the "noch" from the German sentence). – tofro May 7 '17 at 10:42
    There's a may missing in both your examples. – Janka May 7 '17 at 11:28

For me, your second interpretation describes the actual meaning of the sentence much better than the first. However, you have skipped the "vielleicht". That's why @Janka wrote "there's a may missing" - if we slot it in, we get: "you may have made her all the more convinced that ..."

Where I'm not quite sure is the first part of your sentence 2.: You have translated "Wenn du es getan hast ..." into "By doing that ..." Again - for me, personally - it should be: "If you have done it, ..."

Cobbling it all together, you could write: "If you have done it, you may made her all the more convinced that ..."

I still don't like this translation eg the meaning of "convinced" is closer to "überzeugt" than to "bestärkt" and I think, once someone is convinced, they are convinced :-). So - maybe we should write: "... it may have given her another reason to think that she's right."

(One more thought "for the road" as it were ...) What I would like to add is: in your first translation, you have used ONLY. This would be right, if the sentence contained NUR NOCH. However, we've got EHER NOCH which means something like "rather".

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.