Die Jugendministerin hat keine Programme für die sinnvolle Freizeitgestaltung der Schüler entwickeln können.

• What exactly is the question here? Do you mean: "Why is the word können positioned at the end of the sentence, not elsewhere"? If so, where else would you put it? – Christian Geiselmann May 10 '17 at 15:44
  • yes, you get me . sorry I can't express myself so clearly – meowngu May 10 '17 at 16:01

In some southern German dialects, people say

Die Jugendministerin hat keine Programme für die sinnvolle Freizeitgestaltung der Schüler entwickeln gekonnt.

The basic structure is

<Subjekt> hat <Infinitiv> gekonnt.

So, it's Perfekt tense of können, and this requires an infinitive of the action which someone can do.

There's another complication however. Standard German doesn't like this infinitive+participle construction. Instead, it's infinitive+infinitive.

<Subjekt> hat <Infinitiv> können.

This Ersatzinfinitiv applies to all modal verbs (dürfen, können, mögen, müssen, sollen und wollen) and the verbs brauchen, lassen, sehen, and sometimes hören, fühlen, helfen.

You could even continue this structure by adding more modal verbs: "Die Ministerin hat keine Programme für sinnvolle Freizeitgestaltung der Schüler entwickeln können sollen." This is of course not a sentence to be used in standard situations. However, in some satirical comment it could well appear, and would be well-formed there. – Christian Geiselmann May 10 '17 at 15:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.