I know that German is the language of all, theoretically at least, lexical possibilities.

If I want to express the notion of farawayness, is weitweglichkeit a good enough option for it, or is there any other way that I might put this abstract idea into words?

  • 1
    Regardless of whether it would be advisable to use this word, since the word that you have created is a noun you have to capitalise it. – Carsten S May 12 '17 at 12:37
  • -lichkeit is the suffix of properties; in case you mean a state, it should rather be "das Weitwegsein" – äüö May 12 '17 at 13:06
  • Trying too literal a translation is not always a good idea (here, it somewhat works, would most probably be understood, but sounds extremely awkward). far away is fern, entfernt or abgelegen in German. Try one of the related substantives to these words. – tofro May 12 '17 at 13:51

You mean the state of being far away? I have to disappoint you but German already has a simple, poetic word for it: die Ferne. (The translation "distance" does not cover the poetic power of that word.)

In der Ferne leuchteten die Lichter des Hafens.

The lights of the harbour gleamed in "farawayness".

Dieses Vorhaben ist nun in weite Ferne gerückt.

This project has been moved into far "farawayness".

One could build compound words on the spot, of course:

Eine Herzensferne trennte die beiden seitdem.

A "heart-farawayness" parted the two from then on.

And of course, there's also the opposite die Nähe, which is the state of being near. Also used in a poetic sense but for mundane purposes, too. (English closeness is a good translation for some cases.)

Ihre Nähe machte in nervös.

Her "nearness" made him nervous.

Fremdenzimmer in Bahnhofsnähe.

Vacancies near the station.

| improve this answer | |
  • Learning is never disappointing. – ΥΣΕΡ26328 May 13 '17 at 7:36

As a native speaker, I'd strongly advise against using "weg" in compounds.

There are two "weg"s in German: The lowercase "weg" with a short e sound, meaning "away" and the uppercase "Weg" with a long e sound, meaning "way". In written compounds, you lose all ways to safely disambiguate them - potentially leading to the garden path phenomenon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_path_sentence).

In this case, if I see your word, my language instinct translates it to something like "longwayness" or "widewayness" (äöü's remark plays a role there too, "-lichkeit" makes it sound like a property of a place) .. which obviously isn't what you have in mind. Even when reading it again now, it takes some conscious effort to spell it with a short e in my mind. (Edit: Could be because it looks similar to "Beweglichkeit", which has a long e)

If you want a longer word than "Ferne", maybe try "Weitentferntheit" (it's a little awkward too, to be honest, but at least everyone will know what it means right away).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.