duden.de/gegenüber says the preposition «gegenüber» is followed by Dativ. I stood under the impression that it was followed by Genitiv in the past but found no mention of it in the respective article. Was it never used with Genitiv? Does someone know of a dictionary that suggested it's use with Genitiv?

Could it be that I am simply «hypercorrecting», like proposed by Kilian Foth in another question with the same tags?

«People using a genitive are simply wrong, possibly due to hypercorrection (the genitive is slowly being lost and replaced with the dative generally, so it happens that someone thinks a dative should really be a genitive even when it shouldn't).» - Kilian Foth

• Asking why reasons in a language is generally not leading anywhere. – tofro May 16 '17 at 10:42
  • It should be used with Dativ only, but indeed you here it very often used with Genitiv, because natives don't know and/or speak dialect. – user1583209 May 16 '17 at 10:45

gegenüber is one of the prepositions that rules the dative. Some Grammars (one example) claim it is also (rarely) used with the genitive.

Whether this is actually correct or an observation of hypercorrection (in my opinion, very likely) is maybe impossible to judge. Common usage, however, would be with dative.

Grimms Wörterbuch has a bit of a rant on the french influence of vis-a-vis on the usage of gegenüber von (the "french genitive") instead of gegenüber + dative. Other than that, I can find no historical trace that gegenüber has ever ruled the genitive.

• Google n-grams agrees. The incidence of "...gegenüber des..." vs. "...gegenüber dem..." is negligible across all time periods. – Kilian Foth May 17 '17 at 6:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.