I'm trying to find a German word that is the same as »Schadenfreude« but also has a tinge of empathy in it. Is there such a word?

• I would suggest »Häme«. See also this list: synonyme.woxikon.de/synonyme/schadenfreude.php
    – Devon
    May 17, 2017 at 5:03
    @Devon I'd say_Häme_ comes without 'a tingle of empathy'.
    – Arsak
    May 17, 2017 at 5:38
    The point of "Schadenfreude" (gloating) is that you're taking pleasure in someone's harm. Thus there is already some empathy involved, just no sympathy. May 17, 2017 at 6:12
    Could you add some context, e.g. a real-life situation where you would need such a word? This would help finding one. May 17, 2017 at 9:46

3 Answers 3

Maybe Belustigung? It's a more general term, neither restricted to harm nor to malice.

That's twice as bad.
    – Janka
    May 17, 2017 at 8:26
  • @Janka: Schadenfreude has always a malicious connotation, Belustigung not necessarily.
    – Pollitzer
    May 17, 2017 at 9:02
    Ich empfinde "Belustigung" immer etwas hinterfotzig. Aber ok.
    – Janka
    May 17, 2017 at 12:32

There is the so called Schmunzelfehler which is an euphemism for a shortcoming in some good which doesn't really matter. For example a scratch on the backside of a cabinet.

It comes from schmunzeln, which means "to smile over something bad", and Fehler (error, mistake, failure).

Ihr Gesang war kaum auszuhalten.

— Oh, im Vergleich zur Band war das doch nur ein Schmunzelfehler.

I couldn't stand her singing.

Oh? Compared to the band it was merely a Schmunzelfehler.

• Interesting, I've never heard 'Schmunzelfehler' before. Is this word specific for a certain area or subculture or similar?
    – Arsak
    May 17, 2017 at 12:53
  • I think it's specific for people who buy/sell second-hand (or second-choice) goods.
    – Janka
    May 17, 2017 at 13:27

I assume you are looking for a word that describes reacting to someone's misfortune in a humorous way, without the implied negativity.

I would suggest Stichelei. It is the German word for a taunt. (Note that this word can not be used for non-verbal reactions, a laughter for instance. But then again, the same is true for the English word.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.