According to the dictionary, both, schaffen and abschließen mean to complete and to accomplish. So what is the difference in usage between them?

• The difference is from context where you would use one or the other. – Takkat May 18 '17 at 10:58
    I fail to understand what is closeworthy about this question. – Wrzlprmft May 20 '17 at 18:11

Hier ist der Versuch einer Erklärung:

Etwas schaffen heißt, eine Aufgabe erfolgreich (!) abzuschließen, wobei der Erfolg am Anfang nicht sicher war.*)

Wirst du das schaffen? - Ich weiß nicht, ich glaube, die Aufgabe ist zu schwer für mich.

Do you think you can manage it? - I don't know, I think the task is too difficult for me.

Hey, du hast es ja wirklich geschafft! Das hätte ich nicht gedacht!

Hey, you really did it! I did not believe you could!

Abschließen dagegen heißt einfach zu Ende bringen, erledigen - ohne dass der Erfolg am Anfang in Frage gestanden wäre.

Kannst du diese Arbeit abschließen und dann mal rüberkommen?

Could you finalize this task, and then come here?

Wenn du die Berechnung abgeschlossen hast, kannst du ja mal eine Pause machen.

As soon as you have finalized the calculation, you could take a break.

Man kann eine Arbeit theoretisch auch ohne Erfolg abschließen:

Ich schließe die Arbeit an diesem Projekt jetzt ab. Das führt so oder so nicht zum Erfolg.

I will conclude my work on this project; it anyway will not have any result.

*) Note that this answer is not about the second meaning of schaffen, namely create.

• What is the last sentence supposed to mean? – OmamArmy May 18 '17 at 13:09
  • What last sentence? The last German one? Or the last English one? (If the English one: sorry for my amateurish English.) – Christian Geiselmann May 18 '17 at 13:46
  • Your totally fine! I would just like to help! But i mean both. "Das führt so oder so nicht zum Erfolg" und "it anyway will not have any result." Weiß ich nicht was du da sagen mochtest. – OmamArmy May 18 '17 at 13:52
  • So oder so = anyway, either way, whatever you do about it, if you do it that way or the other way... Hence Das führt so oder so nicht zum Erfolg. = Whatever you do about it, you will not end up with any success in this project. - Wird's damit klarer? - I will be happy seing a more appropriate way of expressing this in English. – Christian Geiselmann May 18 '17 at 13:56
  • Nicht zu vergessen, dass hier im Schwäbischen schaffen ein Synonym für arbeiten ist ;) – cgnieder May 18 '17 at 15:26

While the translations complete and accomplish are both correct for certain contexts, you should be aware of the common meanings of both schaffen und abschließen

etw. schaffen usually means make sth, create (although you should be aware of the more common erschaffen), and is often used in a figurative way - same as make in English (manage):

Ich schaffe das nicht. - I won't make it.

Schaffst du das? - Can you make it?

etw. abschließen is derived from (Ab)Schluss which means end, finish, finalization etc. Beware that it also means lock sth.

Wir müssen die Arbeit jetzt abschließen. - We have to finish our work now.

Abschließen --> finish something

The focus is on the finishing

Schaffen --> accomplish

The focus is on accomplishing something.

The difference therefore is. You can finish something, like your shift at work without actually having accomplished anything.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.