The sentence in quotation marks in the question line, apparently written in the dialect of Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz), appears in the article “Aufwachen, Rheinland-Pfalz!” from taz.de. What does it mean? For context purposes, I'm forced to quote four paragraphs from the article (the sentence in question is in the last quoted paragraph and is highlighted in bold).

The introductory paragraph of the article reads:

In Koblenz wollte sich ein Mann in „James Bond“ umbenennen. Das Verwaltungsgericht hat’s verboten. Ein großer Fehler.

The two paragraphs leading up to the paragraph where the sentence in question appears are:

So ziemlich alles in dieser Resteverwertung aus Pfalz, Rheinprovinz und ein paar versprengten Exherzogtümern ist – na ja, so mittel: Mittelgebirge, Mittelrhein, mittelgut in Bildung, mittleres Bruttoinlandsprodukt. Rheinland-Pfalz ist kein Bad Boy, so wie Neonazi-Sachsen oder Ghetto-Bremen, aber eben auch kein Überflieger.

Den Rheinland-PfälzerInnen mag das recht sein, die wollen ihre Ruhe. Die strengen sich gerade genug an, um keine miesen Schlagzeilen zu machen. Das muss aber auch reichen. Dann gibt’s wieder Weinchen. Und in Tierorgane gestopfte Tierorgane (the two latter sentence are, by the way, also abstruse).

And, finally, the paragraph with the incomprehensible sentence:

Aber einen großen Medienrummel um einen Mann, der jetzt James Bond heißt? Mit Kamerateams aus aller Welt und so? Naa, gieh mer fott mit dem Saupanz un seim Gekaschper!

From the ten words in the sentence, only mit and dem are in dict.cc (there's also a phrase, not very helpful though, with mer; and Gekaschper is possibly Gekasper, which is clowning around). So, what does the sentence in bold in the above paragraph mean? And, if you are not from Rhineland-Palatinate, do you understand what the sentence is saying?

There are no 'abstruse' sentences. This is just a sharply written polemic commentary, and for understanding all its allusions you need some background knowledge of the regional culture, cuisine, language, education policy in the various German provinces, etc. – Christian Geiselmann May 20 '17 at 15:11

The sentence is clearly understandable for people who don't know Pfälzisch. Removing the dialect onomatopoeia, it reads:

Nein, geh mir fort mit dem Saupanzen und seinem Gekasper.

Geh mir fort! is a fixed phrase meaning I don't need this stuff. More literally it means F#CK OFF (I don't need your stuff) but today it's more used in a heated dispute than for the purpose shooing some hawker.

Literally Panz or Pänz just means kid, but it's often used for kids who are little menaces. Sau is sow so Saupanz is a stinking brat.

Gekasper is the act of clowning around as you found out yourself.

Dann gibt’s wieder Weinchen.

Than they have a small wine.

Und in Tierorgane gestopfte Tierorgane

And intestines put into intestines. (It's sausage made from intestines.)

Good answer, but I don't see why we should follow the US American bigotry of hiding curse words behind a beep in TV or placeholder spelling in writing. If you want to say "fuck" in Europe you are allowed to say "fuck" and write "fuck". Z#m K#ck#ck! – Christian Geiselmann May 20 '17 at 15:07
    Because this is an U.S. site and some wacky U.S. guy or gal may come and reprimand me for doing so. Been there, seen that. – Janka May 20 '17 at 16:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.