... dass nicht nur Felix, sondern jeder einzelne Einwohner erschossen worden ist/sind?

I wonder if the verb "sein" at the end should agree with the singular "Felix" or the singular "jeder einzelne Einwohner"? Or should I add these two parts together in a manner of speaking and use the plural form sind?

• Your example is a little bit unlucky, as also jeder einzelne Einwohner would ask for singular: Jeder einzelne Einwohner wurde erschossen. – Christian Geiselmann May 23 '17 at 14:45

In your example, as others answered, "ist" is totally correct, as it matches both parts.

If you slightly adjust your example, you would usually have to match the second part, although this may sound weird in some cases:

... dass nicht nur Felix, sondern alle Einwohner erschossen worden sind.

... dass nicht nur alle Einwohner, sondern auch das Maskottchen erschossen worden ist.

Also see this Link (in german), where also other cases than "nicht nur... sondern auch" are explained.

Use the word "ist", because the word einzelne emphasises the singular.

• In my eyes the word "auch" after 'sondern' is missing. It makes the choice for correct form easier. – reporter May 22 '17 at 13:29

It should agree with both parts of the sentence. The form you want is "ist." This agrees With "Felix" in the first part of the sentence. It also agrees with "jeder einzelne" in the second part.

It appears not to agree with "Einwohner," which is a "collective noun" that refers to "jeder einzelne," which is singular.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.