I was looking at the definition of the word Ehegatte in the Oxford German dictionary, and it says

(geh.) husband

I looked for the definition of geh. for a while and it seems to be "geheftet/gehoben". However there isn't any further explanation in addition to that.

Does geh. mean the word is used more in a formal, "elevated" setting instead of everyday talk?

You could trust the list of abbreviations and corresponding explanations provided by the dictionary. Mine provides that prominently on the last page.
    – guidot
    Jun 7 '17 at 7:07
  • @guidot Sure but I don't find that list easily accessible on the version of Duden and Oxford Dictionary provided by Apple. Can you access those pages on your iPhone/Mac?
    – xji
    Jun 7 '17 at 11:11

It actually means "gehoben" as you have assumed, so practically posh.

Caution: In everyday life, using this kind of vocabulary might make you leave the appearance of a snob.

Using Ehegatte in particular doesn't make you sound like a snob but like a public offical. The posh term is mein Gatte or meine Gattin instead of mein Mann or meine Frau. The only time I know of when it is appropriate to use Gatte/Gattin is mocking about being posh.
    – Janka
    Jun 7 '17 at 3:36

Geh in Bavarian (Bayerisch) dialect means 'Nicht wahr?' in Hochdeutsch, which means 'Am I right?' or 'Isn't it [so]?' or just 'Right?' in English. It follows nearly every declarative sentence with a questioning tone.

a geh, Schmarrn
    – tofro
    Jul 21 at 18:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.