I'm currently writing a formal-ish e-mail in which I need to give someone my phone number. My first instinct is to simply write:

Meine Nummer, die Sie die SMS senden können, ist _________.

However... saying Meine Nummer ist ______ sounds very "English" or informal to me. I have the feeling that there's a more "German" way to say that. Can anyone give me different options to express this? Am I missing some element to make this more grammatically correct?

Here are some I've considered but I'm not sure if they're correct:

Meine Nummer, die Sie die SMS senden können, steht an _________.

Meine Nummer, die Sie die SMS senden können, geht an ________.

Meine Nummer, die Sie die SMS an schicken können, geht an ________.

None is, unfortunately, the relative clause is not correct (also you could try something like gerne per SMS). – c.p. Jun 8 '17 at 9:14

Meine Nummer ist is indeed used quite often in German and not an "English" term at all.

So if you would like to stick with your relative clause construct, it would be

Meine Nummer, an die Sie die SMS senden können, ist die _______.

But this reads a little bit "holprig" (rough).

I personally would rather go with a much simpler approach like:

Sie können mich gerne unter der Nummer _______ per SMS kontaktieren.

or

Sie erreichen mich per SMS unter der Nummer _______.

That is all: polite, formal and it reads quite natural.

The question I have with your question is: do you want to write that in a sentence or just as information? If you just want to give your number as information you can just write:

Telefonnummer: YourNumber

No sentence.
But if you more or less need to write a whole sentence, you can write this:

Gerne können Sie mir eine SMS an folgende Telefonnummer senden: YourNumber.

or this:

Wenn Sie mir eine SMS senden möchten, bitte ich Sie, diese an die folgende Telefonnummer zu schicken: YourNumber.

• I don't know whether this is a southern German thing, but "senden" for email, SMS, or letter seems pretty rare (and a bit English) "Schicken" seems universal. – Martin Bonner Jun 8 '17 at 14:47

To pack all information in a short manner:

• [Meine] Telefonnummer (auch für SMS): 0123 4567890
  • [Meine] Telefon-Nr. (auch für SMS): 0123 4567890
  • [Meine] Tel.-Nr. (auch für SMS): 0123 4567890
  • Telefon (auch für SMS): 0123 4567890
  • Fon (auch für SMS): 0123 4567890

Additionally you can replace »für« by the well known abbreviation »f.«.

• How can the listener differentiate whether the number is fo a cell phone or an old fashioned phone? The people say also meine Handynummer is bla bla bla. You may add also this. – Ad Infinitum Jun 8 '17 at 10:23
  • If he explicitely adds "auch für SMS", then it is very likely the number of a cell phone. – Gerhardh Jun 8 '17 at 10:55
  • @AdInfinitum: I don't think it's a problem since »(auch für SMS)« is added. – Pollitzer Jun 8 '17 at 10:57
  • I did not think that the part in the paranthesis will be said loudly. – Ad Infinitum Jun 8 '17 at 11:02
    In Germany you can normally tell cell phone numbers from fixed lines as all cell phone numbers start with 015, 016 or 017 whereas no fixed number starts with these prefixes, as you can read here – Torsten Link Jun 8 '17 at 12:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.