I'm trying to translate the following definition of software performance:

Performance is the degree to which a software system or component meets its objectives for timeliness.

I'm having a hard time translating the word timeliness. Translations like Rechtzeitigkeit, Aktualität, Pünktlichkeit do not seem to fit here.

I found the following definition for information timeliness which seems to capture the meaning pretty well.

Information Timeliness relates to “the availability of the output information at a time suitable for its use”

So how can I translate timeliness in this context?

• The problem is this is a definition of terms. You have to pick the terms used in German literature on the same topic. My best bet is to look it up there. – Janka Jun 16 '17 at 8:54
    Bummer, the only German source I found does not attempt to translate it: books.google.de/… – Janka Jun 16 '17 at 9:07
  • Already the english definition is odd. Performance is not a degree, but it measures the degree to which ... And even though I come from software engineering, I have never heard the term timeliness before. But see my suggestion below. – Björn Friedrich Jun 16 '17 at 9:16
  • @Janka I've looked into german literature aswell. Balzert offers another definition citing ISO/IEC 9126-1. I would like to present another definition but maybe I'll just stick with Balzert... – Phonolog Jun 16 '17 at 9:25
    Why do you think "Rechtzeitigkeit" doesn't fit the bill here? It's a common technical term for timeliness in real time IT systems design – tofro Jun 16 '17 at 9:44

Die Performanz gibt an, wie gut ein Softwaresystem oder eine Softwarekomponente die zeitlichen Vorgaben erfüllt.

You may also interpret timely as a synonym for up-to-date, which translates to aktuell. In this case, the following translation is more apt:

Die Performanz gibt an, wie gut ein Softwaresystem oder eine Softwarekomponente die Aktualitätsvorgaben erfüllt.

| improve this answer | |

The used translation for the Information timeliness (or the timeliness of the information) is Aktualität der Information

A quote from a respected source

Aktualität der Information erfasst die Zeitspanne zwischen der Verfügbarkeit einer Information und dem Zeitpunkt, den sie beschreibt.

This term is also used for the software systems. Another citation from a book;

Diese Integritätsinformation gibt dann entsprechende Informationen über die Korrektheit und die Aktualität der Information für die Anwendersoftware.

Edit

After the comments, I need to research more to find an alternative translation for timeliness for this specific context.

In similar context, zeitgerecht is also used to mean the word, which OP looks for.

| improve this answer | |
  • The original citation is from Smith and Williams and specific for software engineering. You cannot use another definition without making things up. – Janka Jun 16 '17 at 9:05
  • @Janka The OP did not ask the translation (or the source) of the citation. He asked the correct translation for the term "Information timelessness". Correct me please if I am wrong. – Ad Infinitum Jun 16 '17 at 9:09
    The OP asked how to translate timeliness in that specific context. May I cite her: I'm trying to translate the following definition of software performance: – Janka Jun 16 '17 at 9:10
  • @Janka I editted my answer. Please have a look at that. – Ad Infinitum Jun 16 '17 at 9:12
  • Your edited part does not describe the Smith and Williams' software performance term, but something about software updating practices. That 's a Verschlimmbesserung. – Janka Jun 16 '17 at 9:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.