Actually I am trying to translate the following English title into its German equivalent.

"Lead Software Architect with Management Skills and over 10 years of experience in IT Field"

So the German title:

"Lead Software Architect mit Management Skills und über 10-jährige Berufserfahrung im IT-Umfeld"

The problem part is:

"über 10-jährige Berufserfahrung"

Is it correct like this or is this one correct "über 10-jähriger Berufserfahrung"? What comes after über: the accusative or the dative?

• No. There is no verb, and therefore it is not a sentence. When it's not a sentence, it can't be a correct sentence. – Hubert Schölnast Jun 21 '17 at 9:25
    @user27580 You can hit the "edit" button on the left side below your question to correct typos. – Brian J Jun 21 '17 at 13:46

Lead-Software-Architekt mit Managementfähigkeiten und mehr als 10 Jahren Berufserfahrung im IT-Umfeld

Personally, I would also change Lead-Software-Architekt to leitender Softwarearchitekt and im IT-Umfeld to in der IT-Branche; but this is a matter of taste:

Leitender Softwarearchitekt mit Managementfähigkeiten und mehr als 10 Jahren Berufserfahrung in der IT-Branche

Akkusativ vs. dativ: Here, mit refers to both Managementfähigkeiten and 10 Jahren Berufserfahrung. Since mit requires the dativ, it is (mit) 10 Jahren and not (mit) 10 Jahre. The same holds for (mit) 10-jähriger instead of (mit) 10-jährige.

Yes you are right, I find your title translation way better. Thanks – user27580 Jun 21 '17 at 10:44

"Lead Software Architect mit Management skills mit mehr als 10-jährige Berufserfahrung im IT-Umfeld"

Instead of "und" use "mit" and instead of "über" use "mehr als".

http://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/mehr+als.html

aka. more than or upwards of

The correct usage in this job ad is

über 10-jähriger Berufserfahrung

When you divide up the sentence you get

Lead Software Architect mit 10-jähriger Berufserfahrung

"Mit" is a preposition which requires dative.

• Thanks a lot for your help :-) Is it possbile that I also get explaination why it is dativ in this case? – user27580 Jun 21 '17 at 9:48
  • "mit" demands Dativ ;) – Annatar Jun 21 '17 at 10:10
  • @user27580 Added explanation for dative. – IQV Jun 21 '17 at 10:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.