After looking up the declension of "gut", I would expect to see "guter Morgen" as opposed to "guten Morgen". The only conclusion I can draw is that "guten Morgen" is in the accusative case. Am I correct in assuming this? Are all greetings in the accusative? Is there a name for this grammatical category? It brings to mind the "accusative of exclamation" found in Greek and Latin, although I believe that is a bit different (correct me if I am wrong).

Perhaps because you can see the greeting as short for "Ich wünsche dir einen guten Morgen."? – IQV Jun 22 '17 at 6:19
  • @IQV That's interesting, but can you back it up with sources? – ktm5124 Jun 22 '17 at 6:28
    @ktm5124 That needs no sources. It's basic understanding of grammar. – c.p. Jun 22 '17 at 6:32
    I think every greeting in most languages is such a short form. – IQV Jun 22 '17 at 6:37

You are correct. "Guten Morgen" is short for "Ich wünsche dir/Ihnen einen guten Morgen".

Likewise, "Guten Tag" is short for "Ich wünsche dir/Ihnen einen guten Tag". Same with "Guten Abend".

As you can see, this is just the regular accusative, so there is no need for a special name.

| improve this answer | |
    The same is true for basically anything else one could wish sb., like "Guten Appetit" or "Gutes neues Jahr". – QBrute Jun 22 '17 at 7:58
  • @QBrute you can't really spot the difference in the last one, now can you? – Pierre Arlaud Jun 22 '17 at 8:53
  • @PierreArlaud What's that supposed to mean? – QBrute Jun 22 '17 at 9:15
  • @QBrute that it would be "gutes neues Jahr" in nominative case too? – Pierre Arlaud Jun 22 '17 at 9:21
  • @PierreArlaud So? That doesn't change the fact that "Gutes neues Jahr" is accusative like OP asked and can be used as abbreviation for "Ich wünsche dir ein gutes neues Jahr". Therefore it falls under the same category as the other examples. I don't really see the problem here. – QBrute Jun 22 '17 at 9:26

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.