I'm an American engineer living in Germany, and I'm seeking work on sites like Jobbörse and Monster.de.

I'm not sure what the industry accepted term for "Biomedical device" or "Medical device" is - when referring to things like medical device implants, prosthetics with embedded microprocessors, medical accessories like cochlear implants or insulin pumps, etc. Things that would use embedded-C as a programming language.

I'm seeking the correct term that industry or academic employers would use as keyword when searching on job sites.

Different translation engines have suggested ...

Biomedizinischen Vorrichtung
Biomedizinische Geräte
Medizintechniker (medical device engineer)

I would probably search for either more general (Medizintechnik, to find actual employers) or more specific (Medizinische Informatik or Medizininformatiker to find open positions) terms – tofro Jun 26 '17 at 12:37
    Do you search for the translation of "Biomedical device" or do you search for a term of the job you are looking for? – IQV Jun 26 '17 at 13:01
  • @IQV I'm seeking the correct term that industry or academic employers would use as keyword when searching on job sites. – tofro Jun 26 '17 at 13:21
    @tofro Überschrift: "The search friendly industry term for 'Biomedical device' or 'medical device'" - für mich ist die Frage ist nicht wirklich eindeutig. – IQV Jun 26 '17 at 13:35

Medizingeräte

The EU and with them German and Austrian law regulates all products and devices that are used in a medical setting (Medizinprodukterichtlinie).

Amongst these products technical devices (Medizingeräte or medizinische Geräte) are a subgroup, again regulated by law (Medizingeräteverordnung).

Medizintechnik

The science with developing or maintaining such devices is called Medizintechnik, hence a person working in this field is a Medizintechniker.

When i was looking for work in that field i used terms like "Medizintechnik" (= medical technology)or "Medizinprodukte" (= medical devices). "Medizintechniker" could be suitable, but this can also refer to someone with a cerification for the maintenance of medical devices (usually larger ones like CT or MRI systems or other clinical equipment) and might be less relevant if you are looking for work in the design of medical devices.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.