I am under the impression that both "wegen" and "aufgrund" mean "because of." Is there any difference in their meaning or usage?

Today is no real difference between "wegen" and "aufgrund" in German language. Also "weil" is used (we mainly use "weil"). Still "aufgrund" is mostly used in 'higher' explanations like in science or politics. – Dirk Reichel Jun 28 '17 at 0:26

Both wegen+Genitiv and aufgrund+Genitiv are prepositions with that very same meaning because of. The latter is made from the words auf Grund. There is also an adverb aufgrund, which takes the preposition von+Dativ.

It's common to use wegen as an answer to questions leaded by weswegen and weshalb. It's an everyday word.

Aufgrund in contrary sounds a bit stilted. Don't use it in speech, it sounds as if you were giving an official statement.

| improve this answer | |
    I'd simply label "aufgrund" as a formal word used in written German or in speeches; for me, it doesn't have stilted connotations per se. Might be a subjective perception on my side. – user2391 Jun 28 '17 at 9:35
    "aufgrund" is neither formal nor stilted. Its just a word thats more often used in educated circles and less so in others. If you want to sound professional, "aufgrund" is better than "wegen" in almost every case. – Polygnome Jun 28 '17 at 10:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.