I would like to know how to express one's citizenship in German. Whether one has to use a noun or an adjective. For example would you say

Ich bin französich.


Ich bin Franzose/Franzosin.

Likewise, would a girl say

Ich bin deutsche.


Ich bin Deutscher(in?).


"I am French" is:

Ich bin Franzose/Französin.

Note that the female form uses an umlaut.

In the case of "I am German" you use the nominalized adjective. As a noun, it has to be uppercase, but it is inflected like an adjective.

Ich bin Deutscher/Deutsche.

| improve this answer | |
  • Agreed but normally you would say »Ich komme aus Deutschland«. – Devon Jun 28 '17 at 8:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.