How would one say "Suppose that A?" I am looking for the way that this might be translated for mathematics.

closed as off-topic by Roland Illig, Hubert Schölnast, Jan, tofro, Eller Jul 10 '17 at 9:12

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace dictionaries, grammar books or similar. If you have already consulted such general references and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – Roland Illig, Hubert Schölnast, Jan, tofro, Eller
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• More context would certainly be helpful. – Walter Jul 1 '17 at 8:47
  • We received a notice that multiple of your questions were closed. Please take some time to learn how to improve your contributions here. A first step would be to read the tour or go through the help center. Please also take notice that the system may ban questions automatically. – Takkat Jul 10 '17 at 9:27

There is no literal translation for "Suppose that A" as a complete sentence that sound natural to me. The best I can do is "Man nehme an, dass A" or "Nehmen wir an, dass A". The first sounds somewhat stilted, the second depends on you being fine using "we" in your text (literally it's "Let's suppose that A", which some people are fine using and some aren't.)

You can alse use "angenommen, dass A" or "unter der Annahme, dass A", which both translate to "supposing that A". (If A is a formula, you could only use "angenommen": "angenommen P = NP".) Another thing that might be good situationally is "Sei A X", which translates to "Let A be X". It sounds weird to my non-mathematician ears, but I believe people still use it.

• Is using "angenommen" as good/common as any of these options? – user109871 Jun 30 '17 at 1:20
    I'm assuming here that you don't literally write "Suppose that A", but that A stands for some longer proposition. In that case, I think it depends on whether a sentence or a formula follows. For a sentence, I would always use "angenommen dass A". For a formula, you could just use "angenommen": "angenommen P = NP" sounds perfectly fine. I'll edit the post accordingly. – sgf Jun 30 '17 at 1:37
    Phrases using Sei ... actually are standard for mathematicians. Examples: Sei ω eine geschlossene Differentialform ... ; sei N ein Normalteiler .... – Martin Peters Jun 30 '17 at 7:05
  • @MartinPeters Thanks, I was unsure about that. – sgf Jun 30 '17 at 10:49

http://www.mathematik.de/ger/information/fremdsprachen/typischephrasen.html

You could add more context around your phrase, then it would be more clear what your query refers to exactly, but I suppose you refer to an assumption that is invalidated as part of the proof.

Then you should use:

Angenommen, X erfüllt Y; dann wäre .....
Suppose that X satisfies Y; then ..... would be .....

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.