Is it correct to write,

In dieser Zeit wurde ich politisch bewusster.

as in "During this time I was becoming more politically aware"?

Also, what would be the German equivalent of saying "I started working\doing\becoming more ..."?

I feel that z.B.

Ich fange an, politisch bewusster zu werden.

sounds kind of awkward, oder?

• What do you mean with politically aware exactly? Caring for the best politics? Knowing, which parties are politically active? Being aware, that politics is a distinct aspect of society? If it's all of this, then politisch bewusst in all its broadness is appropriate. If it's only one of these, then you should use other, more specific translations.
    – Toscho
    Jul 12 '17 at 19:22

The sentence

In dieser Zeit wurde ich politisch bewusster.

is correct.

There is also nothing inherently wrong with

Ich fange an, politisch bewusster zu werden.

However, if you want to say "I started becoming more politically aware" the tense is wrong. You must use the preterite:

Ich fing an, politisch bewusster zu werden.

The perfect ("Ich habe angefangen...") is also possible but in my opinion here the preterite should be preferred.

Referring to the answer of @RHa

The translation

Ich fing an, politisch bewusster zu werden.

can be written more polite:

So begann ich, politisch bewusster zu werden.

For choosing the right translation, more context is needed. Anyhow, politisch bewusst is a very broad statement. You could mean anything with that. You could clarify your statement further.

If you began to start working for a party or march at demonstrations you would say:

So begann ich / Ich fing an, politisch aktiv zu werden.

If you started to favor left/right wing or developed your own opinion for different political topics, than you would say:

So begann ich / Ich fing an, mir eine politische Meinung zu bilden.

During this time I was becoming more politically aware.

In dieser Zeit begann ich mich für Politik zu interessieren.

In dieser Zeit fand ich Interesse an Politik.

These phrases are idiomatic. The key to sound like a native German speaker is using as many nouns as possible and avoiding passive voice.

I started working/doing/becoming more x.

I started working in a more focused manner.

Ich fing an, gewissenhafter zu arbeiten.

That doesn't sound awkward at all. You could also use a noun here:

Ich fing mit gewissenhafterem Arbeiten an.

I would prefer the infinitive phrase in this case but the noun phrase sounds very German.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.