In the photo below, the word "völliger" is spelled with the umlaut over the v: box from Leica film

Is this a typo, a design choice, or is there a linguistic explanation?

  • 8
    Made in England.
    – Carsten S
    Commented Jul 10, 2017 at 16:38
  • 2
    Nice find. Obviously the (English, apparently) printer didn't have an Ö character in his letter case, so had to combine it from two letters and missed the spot.
    – tofro
    Commented Jul 11, 2017 at 7:01
  • @tofro That makes a lot of sense, I was skeptical that it was just a regular typo since v with an umlaut is not a common symbol, but your explanation makes it seem very plausible.
    – mira
    Commented Jul 11, 2017 at 16:03

1 Answer 1


This simply is wrong.

It should be:


There is a letter »V̈«, but it is not part of the German language. (Some Oceanic languages use this letter, for example Araki)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.