I don't know where to go with German anymore. I do it at school but we're currently on break and i want to improve. I stopped halfway through duolingo and learned 1000+ words on memrise. Any advice?

closed as too broad by Em1, Eller, tofro, Hubert Schölnast, IQV Jul 12 '17 at 6:14

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• Wie wäre es, du hörtest dir den Deutschlandfunk an? Das ist ein sehr guter, öffentlicher Radiosender in Deutschland. www.dradio.de (Website), srv.deutschlandradio.de/themes/dradio/script/aod/… (audio stream) – Christian Geiselmann Jul 11 '17 at 9:44
    Ask your teacher. I think it dosn't makes sense to now learn something that you will get teached next year in school. That could make the lessons in school boring to you. Another option would be you make a part of your break in german. Films, books, german internet forums and chats (be aware that in some of them the german is as bad as the english in some english speaking once ;-)), audio dramas, online versions of german newspapers, ... there're alot of media products in german you could enjoy. german.stackexchange.com/questions/620/… – ikadfoanhfda Jul 11 '17 at 10:45
    @iadfoanhfda: I find your idea that learning something in advance would make lessons in school boring really strange. In my experience it is the other way round: knowing the stuff already is the thing that makes it really interesting. First, it is like a challenge: do I really know it? Then, there is the aspect that the teacher may present it in another way, and it is interesting to see this. Then, your real progress in learning is always based on things you know; then follows the refinement. So, I would advise: yes, learn the stuff for next year! And then be excellent! – Christian Geiselmann Jul 11 '17 at 11:12
    Fang an, deutsche Bücher zu lesen und deutsche Musik zu hören. – Korinna Jul 11 '17 at 11:54
    Try to get hold of German newspapers, and see what you can already understand. – Martin Peters Jul 11 '17 at 13:43

There are many facebook/meetup group where German speakers get together. Most are public, join one.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.