I'm a native English speaker, who is attempting to learn German. I've been having an email conversation with a German customer who wrote to me in English. I would like to make some small, friendly gesture, like maybe ending an otherwise English-language email with "mit freundlichen grüßen". Would a typical German person find that weird/offensive? (Or maybe, hopefully, a nice gesture?)

Native german myself I would consider that as nice gesture. I think that's how most maybe even all would see it. Maybe, just maybe there're people who think it's weird or are irritated and think you're german, but I'm sure that no one would feel offended by it. I think you can go for it. – ikadfoanhfda Jul 14 '17 at 10:55

I consider myself a typical German person, and as such I find adding some kind words in the mother tongue of the recipient a nice and friendly move. I do this myself almost always in my correspondence with project partners in other countries. Similarly, my project partners do this vice versa.

Viele Grüße!

Christian

PS: Aber es wäre noch besser, dabei auch auf die richtige Schreibung zu achten: Mit freundlichen Grüßen - achte auf die Großbuchstaben!

Gut zu wissen. Danke sehr! – David R. Jul 14 '17 at 9:09
    Sorry to be a bit picky, but IMHO MfG is a very formal ending perhaps not always suited as a friendly gesture. However German lacks an ending which is in between formal seen, so I have no good alternative. – Thomas Jul 14 '17 at 9:15
    @thomas I would categorize "Mit freundlichen Grüßen" as a polite, but otherwise empty pleasantry. It is a phrase you have learned to use as an ending in letters or e-mails, but I would never expect anyone writing a letter to me and finalizing it with "Mit freundlichen Grüßen" to express any specific mood or meaning. – jarnbjo Jul 14 '17 at 10:26
    "I consider myself a typical German person" - sorry, but what should that be? There is no such thing as a typical German person. – jonathan.scholbach Feb 21 at 8:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.