I was just in Berlin and heard people refer to the train/U-bahn platform as 'check' when speaking English ('We meet at the check', 'the train will depart from check 2'). As far as I know, this is not used in English to refer to a platform. Is it a word used in German that people assume is also English? I also find this unlikely as in German they always used Gleis. Therefore I am very curious as to where this use of 'check' comes from and cannot find it using google or dictionaries. Hopefully someone here knows.

Any chance it was "Steig"? "Bahnsteig" is a common term. – Robert Jul 20 '17 at 18:43
    @Carsten: I would suppose: Czech! – Christian Geiselmann Jul 20 '17 at 19:32
    @Anne. I am confused. First I thought you were referring to ordinary people talking about where to meet. From your comment I believe to understand that this was some announcement by the railway station staff? – Christian Geiselmann Jul 20 '17 at 19:34
    @ChristianGeiselmann, it was both. – Anne Jul 20 '17 at 19:34
    Actually, I think that track is a good theory. R's are difficult. – Carsten S Jul 20 '17 at 20:55

It is pretty likely they were saying track. If the speakers were not native English speakers, there may well have been some mispronunciation of the English R sound and the English A.

In German, it's not normally the Bahnsteig (platform) that is numbered, but the Gleis (railroad track). Likewise, at least in everyday language, there is only one Bahnsteig between a pair of Gleise (in the case of a the platform being in the middle), so counting just the Bahnsteige is less precise than counting the Gleise.

The OP writes in a comment:

And then german colleagues told us to meet at the check, pretty sure they meant meet at the platform and not on the train tracks.

I consider this to support my point, as "[sich] am Gleis [treffen]" is a usual way to indicate the platform as a meeting location in German1.

Therefore, the answer is: No, there is no word like Check used in German to refer to a platform or track.

1: Note that in German train systems, passengers can usually stay on the platform for any amount of time (i.e. there is no expectation for them to board the very next train that arrives). In most of these systems (in particular, long-distance trains, which would be the subject of the described "announc[ement of] departing international trains"), people may enter the platform at any time and without any tickets, making the area on the platform next to a track a suitable spot for gathering as a group.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.