there is this tool LaTex for writing paper. It has a couple of hierarchy levels namely:

part

chapter

section

subsection

subsubsection

paragraph

subparagraph

what would be good (meaningful) translation for these? I know Kapitel and Abschnitt are very common as well with the prefix Unter-. But what would be a good differentiation (in words not in explanations) for the above mentioned levels?

E.g. in referencing: See subsection 5

Was sagt das Wörterbuch? – user unknown Jul 21 '17 at 1:19
    chapter is translated to Kapitel and Abschnitt depending on the dictionary. Same for section. It could be Kapitel or Abschnitt. Depending on the context. – flor1an Jul 21 '17 at 13:59

I'd use the following translations:

• part -> Teil
  • chapter -> Kapitel
  • section -> Abschnitt
  • subsection -> Unterabschnitt
  • subsubsection -> Unterabschnitt (perhaps Unterunterabschnitt, if you really need to differentiate between these, but that sounds really weird and noone would use it)
  • paragraph -> Absatz
  • subparagraph -> Unterabsatz

You then use: "siehe Unterabschnitt 5" as a translation for "see subsection 5"

These are exactly the words that are in this german documentation... subsubsection there is translated as Unter-Unterabschnitt – Torsten Link Jul 20 '17 at 22:28
    Lyx (a TeX-Editor) uses "Unterunterabschnitt", "Paragraph" and "Unterparagraph" in its German GUI – tofro Jul 21 '17 at 5:16
  • "but that sounds really weird and noone would use it" - consider the context: Is it really weirder than subsubsection is in English? – O. R. Mapper Jul 21 '17 at 16:06
  • @O. R. Mapper I stand corrected - I wouldn't have thought that Unterunterabschnitt might be used. But then, a technical documentation is a kind of its own. – Thoran Jul 21 '17 at 18:50
    A Paragraph in German is a section of a law. When dealing with texts in general this term should be avoided in German because it can be confused with an English paragraph which is an Absatz in German, as shown in the answer. – RHa Jul 21 '17 at 20:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.