I don't know where found this sentence on the net, but a friend of me says that als ob can be used in subjunctive only. I'm sure I extracted this sentence from a German passage or text. Can't als ob be used here?

Manchmal habe ich das Gefühl, als ob wir uns schon sehr lange kennen.

• In fact, this sentence is using the subjunctive (Konjunktiv I), because the subclause is an Irrealis. – user18544 Aug 16 '17 at 22:29
  • Don't overthink this. The sentence is fine. – moooeeeep Aug 17 '17 at 7:59
  • Depends on whether you want your sentences to be 95% or 100% correct. Indicative is not "textbook-correct", but acceptable. – tofro Aug 17 '17 at 8:20

The problem with your example is the 1st person plural Konjunktiv I of kennen is indistinguishable from Indikativ.

So als ob wir einander schon ewig kennen. (Konjunktiv I)

So als ob wir einander schon ewig kennen. (Indikativ)

Better use the simplified würde Konjunktiv I in such cases:

So als ob wir einander schon ewig kennen würden.

There is no such problem with the 3rd person singular of kennen:

So als ob er mich schon ewig kenne. (Konjunktiv I)

So als ob er mich schon ewig kennt. (Indikativ)

BUT in speech people seem to forget about the Konjunktiv I and its uses and use Indikativ instead. So, you can be as sloppy as German native speakers and do the same unless your goal is writing essays for the general public.

| improve this answer | |
  • "So als ob er mich schon ewig kenne" sounds rather strange, I would also go with "So als ob er mich schon ewig kennen wuerde" here... – Dirk Aug 18 '17 at 8:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.