I don't understand what the Prüfungstempel is in this sentence:

Sarastro befiehlt, dass Tamino und Papageno in den Prüfungstempel geführt werden, und bestraft Monostatos.

I have searched the Google and find that it may mean "house of trials", but it seems strange to me. Literally Prüfung means test and stempel means stamp, and hence it can be translated to test stamp. But what is test stamp and how can Tamino and Papageno be led into a test stamp?

Tempel, not Stempel. "S" is a connection letter here. – Eller Aug 27 '17 at 10:15
  • @Eller Google translation outputs Examination stamps. google.com/… – Lerner Zhang Aug 27 '17 at 10:25
    Which shows (again) that Google translate is not very good in translating to/from German. But to give credit where it's due, my Google translate comes up with audit temple, which is an acceptable translation. – tofro Aug 27 '17 at 10:56
  • This word (Prüfungstempel) is one of those that are used at virtually one single place (here: the text of Zauberflöte) and anywhere else. – Christian Geiselmann Aug 27 '17 at 11:07
    @Lerner Don't rely on Google translate and DO NOT use it as a dictionary! – Eller Aug 28 '17 at 8:35

Your effort for an analysis is laudable, but led you astray.

It's not "Prüfung-Stempel" but "Prüfung-s-Tempel"1.

What tripped you is the so-called Fugen-s ("linking s", find a nice little article for example here), a frequent connecting element when forming compound nouns. It looks like the genitive of the first noun, which may sometimes also confuse learners.

So indeed the "Prüfungstempel" is a house of trials or, slightly more literally, the temple of tests.

1 spelling not according to the general rules, just for clarification

And as a side note: With or without Fugen-s compound nouns can be tricky even for native speakers. One of my children very innocently once read aloud from an IKEA catalogue: "Ti-Schlampe". Got our attention immediately... – Stephie Aug 27 '17 at 17:35
  • "Duschlampe" tends to get the same attention... – tofro Aug 28 '17 at 9:13
  • @tofro wie in dem Witz: "Hab isch jetzt Hausverbot in Baumarkt ...." – Stephie Aug 28 '17 at 9:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.