The sentence is:

"Jemand oder etwas hat mir einen Schlag auf den Kopf gegeben, als ich in die Grotte gegangen bin.

So my question is, why the verb "bin" is carried out to the end of the sentence? Is it something like weil rule or something? If so, when does that happen when I use als?

• Satzanfänge und engl. I bitte groß und Satzzeichen nicht unterschlagen. – user unknown Aug 27 '17 at 17:03
    Please check your grammar (book, favorite website...) for "Hauptsatz" and "Nebensatz". – Stephie Aug 27 '17 at 17:46

"Als" is a subordinating conjunction just like "weil" is. It's not called the "weil rule" but the same rule governs "als" and "weil," which begin subordinate clauses.

In a subordinate clause, the verb(s) go(es) last. In this case, there are two verbs, so the "helping" verb, bin, goes last, and the main verb, gegangen, goes next to last, preceding only the helping verb.

Yes, it has the same reason as with weil, but there is no weil-rule. The basic reasoning is the difference of coordinating and subjugating konjunctions resp. main clauses and subclauses.

As Stephie suggested, refer to your grammar reference for explanations of these German grammar aspects.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.