These two lines are from the song Walther by the German rapper Absztrakkt:

Doch ich rufe die Jungen und ich versammel die Alten
Um wieder zusammen zu halten, wir bilden zusammen Gewalten

I understand the first part, but I have problems with the second sentence. What does bilden zusammen Gewalten mean? I know that Gewalt is violence/authority, but I don’t know how violence can be the object of bilden.

• Gewalten doesn't necessarily mean violence/authority - See Gewaltenteilung – tofro Sep 2 '17 at 21:29
  • You are probably aware that texts published by rap poets often have a very liberal approach to language, and that sometimes words are chosen just in order to achieve a rhime without too much respect of established meaning and usage of the words? – Christian Geiselmann Sep 4 '17 at 7:56

Group 1 and group 2 »bilden zusammen Gewalten« means:

Group 1 and group 2 will constitute/represent a huge power (Macht) if they join together.

The groups in this case are the young and the old.

»Bilden« is used here as

2. a. durch Sichgruppieren, Sichorganisieren formen, herstellen

and »Gewalten« not as violence but as power:

1. Macht, Befugnis, das Recht und die Mittel, über jemanden, etwas zu bestimmen, zu herrschen

• Thank you. What about "Um wieder zusammen zu halten"? – LearningMath Sep 2 '17 at 17:33
  • @LearningMath: »um wieder zusammenzuhalten« translates to »to stick together again« → Duden meaning 2 of »zusammenhalten«: fest zueinanderstehen; eine (gegen äußere Gefahren o. Ä.) fest gefügte Einheit bilden – Pollitzer Sep 2 '17 at 18:46
  • In this context, i would translate Gewalt loosely as force, as in to forceing social and political change – PSquall Sep 3 '17 at 13:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.