Looking at this sentence, from a Schopenhauer's "Über die Weiber", I'm not able to identify which of the affixes belongs to the separable verb. See:

Besser, als Schiller's wohlüberlegtes, mittelst der Antithese und des Kontrastes wirkendes Gedicht, »Würde der Frauen«, sprechen, meiner Meinung nach, diese wenigen Worte Jouy's das wahre Lob der Weiber aus: sans les femmes, le commencement de notre vie seroit privé de secours, le milieu de plaisirs, et la fin de consolation.

Is it nachsprechen or aussprechen? For me it seems like both make sense, but I'm inclined to believe aus attaches to sprechen, but if that's the case, why does he uses the word nach in the sentence?

"Meiner Meinung nach" means "in my opinion". One would expect "nach meiner Meinung", but the way it is worded is traditional. It also changes the word order in the rest of the sentence a little: "Meiner Meinung nach sprechen diese wenigen Worte Joeys das wahre Lob der Weiber aus".

The verb is "aussprechen": [diese wenigen Worte Jouys] sprechen [das wahre Lob der Weiber] aus.

Better than Schiller's well-considered, through means of antithesis and contrast effective poem, "Dignity of Women", these few words Jouy's, are speaking, in my opinion, out the true praise of women.

I think this may come the closest to a literal translation while keeping most of the original sentence structure and still forming a valid English sentence.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.