We have a track and trace software that works together with a device that is attached to assets (could be cars, containers, chassis, rail-waggons, etc.). The task is now to find a general term for those assets in German. It is not the idea to track our device, so "Gerät" will not do. Any ideas?

Please note that I saw this question, but although asking for translation of asset tracking, this was about the tracking part, not the asset.

• What does your dictionary suggest and what do you think? – Stephie Sep 12 '17 at 10:14
    @HubertSchölnast Tatsächlich paßt leider nichts aus den Wörterbuchlinks - Höchstens vielleicht "Gut", das aber nicht besonders gut [sic]. – tofro Sep 12 '17 at 11:22
    @tofro: »Asset« ist aber auch ein äußerst schwammiges Wort. Dagegen ist ja »device« geradezu ein Leuchtturm der Prägnanz. Ich glaube, die beste Übersetzung ist noch immer »Dings« (nicht ganz ernst gemeint). – Hubert Schölnast Sep 12 '17 at 11:33
    To people voting to close this as "look up in a dictionary": Most German dictionaries fail to come up with a proper translation of the term asset in this context. – tofro Sep 12 '17 at 11:55
    If you wish to be very general, and a bit informal, then Zeug. – Adam Bittlingmayer Sep 12 '17 at 19:42

This is a bit tricky - There is no real 100% translation of asset into German. I could imagine the following notations:

• [verfolgtes] Objekt
  • [verfolgtes] Wirtschaftsgut, Bestandsgut or, even more general "Gut"
  • Gegenstand
  • Ziel (but could be mistaken as "destination", while here it has to mean "target being tracked")
  • Ausrüstungsgegenstand (only of limited use)
  • Artikel
  • Posten
  • In a very, very loose sense maybe even "Aktivum" (as singular of "Aktiva", which is the proper translation of assets)

For generic asset tracking, I would probably tend to "[verfolgtes] Bestandsgut", even if it is a whole lot longer than "asset".

And there is always the simple way out of not translating at all: "Asset" is a German word mentioned in a lot of dictionaries. It is, however, very rarely used for "asset item" in German. In an asset tracking system, I would assume people to know what you are talking about, though...

NB: Sometimes the MS Language portal tends to come up with proper translation of IT relevant language. Unfortunately, there are no real good proposals for asset, however.

Maybe

Mobilien = bewegliche Sachen, beweglicher Besitz (im Unterschied zu den Immobilien)

which is moveable property, opposed to

Immobilien = unbeweglicher Besitz

Other manufacturer of similar devices describe their assets as

Fahrzeuge und Objekte

"Objekte" are especially the containers, as they are not vehicles.

Another possible term could be

Mobile Objekte

as all things you mentioned are mobile.

And a last possible term could be

Verkehrsobjekte

as all things have something to do with traffic. But this term would be rather strange and artifical.

You wont find a single matching word which is still understable, I'm afraid. The use of "asset" in your business is already very specific and I doubt anyone who hasn't already got knowledge about it would understand more than "doohickey".

I would translate the term container into German because we assume it's those huge metal boxes (which you don't mean exclusively) and even add aller Art. Then, add the trailers and waggons.

Transportbehälter aller Art sowie Auflieger und Güterwagen.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.