I was reading a book on German verbs and there is an example of the verb "ankommen":

Das kommt bei mir nicht an.

This is translated in the book as:

I don't appreciate that.

I asked my German teacher in B2 class and she told me that this is wrong and that this verb can't mean this and she is a german teacher. The problem is that this book is the 5th edition, and this example is in the beginning of the book. So I can't imagine that this is really wrong.

• Welche Übersetzung schlug die Lehrerin denn vor? – user unknown Sep 14 '17 at 12:35

See our trusted Duden:

Meaning 4 for ankommen says:

Anklang, Widerhall finden
Gebrauch
umgangssprachlich

Beispiele
dieser Schlager, das Buch, die Werbung kommt bei den Leuten an
die Sängerin kam gut, schlecht, nicht [beim Publikum] an

So in your example, "das kommt (nicht) bei mir an" translates to "I (don't) like / appreciate" (literally "is (not) appreciated by me"), just as your book states.

It's not necessarily reflective (see Duden examples), so your title is misleading, it should be "bei jemandem ankommen".

• I have read this before posting here but the idea is appreciate means in german schätzen and it doesn't mean to like. to appreciate and to like have different meaning but maybe it is true in one way or another – Majdgh Sep 13 '17 at 22:34
    It's more a matter of style than meaning whether you use mögen (everyday German) or schätzen (super-posh!) Es kommt an is a derived meaning: it reaches (me). – Janka Sep 13 '17 at 23:05
  • +1 I learned something new from this answer. But one question. What does bei mean in the sentence Das kommt bei mir nicht an? – ktm5124 Sep 14 '17 at 1:14
  • Is it just a preposition that necessarily goes with ankommen whenever it is used with an indirect object like mir? – ktm5124 Sep 14 '17 at 1:15
    @ktm In short: Yes. It's more obvious when you translate it with "to arrive at". "At" = "bei", roughly. – Annatar Sep 14 '17 at 6:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.