I know, the plural form of Stein is Steine. But why is it Steinen in the following?

Wir folgen den Steinen.

It looks like Steine also gets inflected to accusative form.

• I think when there are some basic questions about grammar, it would be helpful for people learning German and it wouldn't harm. So I hope this question be left as it is. The + votes show this. – Chan Kim Sep 17 '17 at 17:30

Some German verbs take dative objects, even though the equivalent English verbs take (accusative) direct objects; folgen is one of these verbs. So Steinen is dative plural in your sentence.

• I see. My web dictionary doesn't show there is a dative form of Stein. Not every noun has the dative form, does it? – Chan Kim Sep 16 '17 at 3:04
    @ChanKim: Dative plural forms of nouns add n, unless the plural form of the noun already ends in n or s. Something like a grammar book would be more helpful for you in this matter than a dictionary, because dictionaries are primarily concerned with lexicology not morphology. I think pretty much all dictionaries take it for granted that you know this rule, and therefore they give just the non-dative plural form. – cnread Sep 16 '17 at 3:06
  • Ah thanks. I am studyng German in my leisure time and learning German grammar too. I'll look it up. – Chan Kim Sep 16 '17 at 3:18

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.