I read this appeal and try to transport the idea to my collegues. (Digital) Meshware is not a well known English word in Germany. I can describe what it means in German, but I need a self-explaining word for reference.

A digital meshware or meshware (“relationnel” in French) is any set of rules, references, parameters and services that allow two or more networked nodes to interoperate between them via any kind of exchange protocol over a data link connecting them. Interoperating computer meshware contrasts with computer software, which is any set of machine-readable instructions that directs a digital processor to perform specific operations, and computer hardware, which is the physical component of computers.

What I think about:

• Verbundmaschine (Maschine shall transport the imagination of non-software, even if the microcontroller have their own "software")

Any further suggestions?

"Maschine" sounds like hardware, though. – Annatar Sep 26 '17 at 6:19
    In any case, you probably won't need a translation for "meshware" at all. "Hardware" and "Software" are exclusively used without translation, too (I don't know if it even exists). – Annatar Sep 26 '17 at 6:23
    Verbundmaschine is already taken. de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleichstrommaschine#Verbundmaschine – Janka Sep 26 '17 at 14:37

From what I understand of the explanation of the word meshware I suggest to use any kind of words related to "Netzwerk". This word has several meanings like personal networks (e.g. colleagues, friends, business partner), real hardwarerelated networks (e.g. LAN, WLAN) or digital networks (e.g. company domains).

A second interpretation is "Schnittstelle". As the explanation describes two single operating nodes communicating with each other and sharing services etc. it could possibly also be a "Schnittstelle".

(I have not read the whole document, if I've missed something please tell me.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.