Entlang describes that its along the river. But why was "an" used here? "entlang" is more related to movement along something ... while "an .... entlang" is more related to existence without movement. So I wonder why did he put "an" while the sentence is talking about active movement towards the city of Base.

• I am more concerned about mit großartigen, because it should be mit großartigem. Oct 8 '17 at 11:30
  • this is right ... it should be großartigem
    – Millen
    Oct 8 '17 at 18:37

Your observation is wrong, there is no such connection with movement or simple presence. An+Dativ+entlang is common for both:

Sie ging am Ufer entlang, als …

Ein Weg führte an der Mauer entlang.

Entlang+Genitiv is a bit old-fashioned or even poetic:

Sie ging entlang des Ufers, als …

Entlang der Mauer führte ein Weg.

A third option is

Sie ging das Ufer entlang.

Ein Weg führte die Mauer entlang.

This uses entlang as a bare adverb. It changes the meaning of the verb directly. Some even think entlanggehen and entlangführen are separable verbs taking the thing passed as an accusative object.

I think your confusion comes from the fact an ist one of the dual-way prepositions. That's true. But entlang required the genitive in the past, and using an+Dativ is a more recent development. So, this particular an-entlang isn't dual-way but a strictly dative preposition.

Similarly, an-heran, auf-drauf, and in-hinein are strictly accusative prepositions, though bare an, auf, and in are dual-way.

should not the sentence be: " ... geht es den Rhein entlang nach Basel"?
    – Millen
    Oct 6 '17 at 18:53
  • This is also possible, I'll edit my answer to address it.
    – Janka
    Oct 6 '17 at 19:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.