Speaking of poetry or ease of speech, is there a common way of shortening adjectives? An example of my question using a noun instead of an adjective would be saying "mei-" perhaps, instead of "meine," to not confuse with "mein?" But my question relates to adjectives.

But mein is not an adjective. Do you mean pronouns??
    – Beta
    Oct 10 '17 at 16:27
    Could you explain a bit more? I'm not sure I fully understand the question.
    – Stephie
    Oct 10 '17 at 16:44
    I have hopefully clarified the question and suggest that it NOT be closed.
    – Tom Au
    Oct 11 '17 at 1:22
  • I do not understand. Where do people say «mei» instead of «meine» while keeping «mein»? I have never heard of that, but I know there are dialects that use «mi» for both, or others that use «mini» for «meine» and «mi» for «mein».
    – mach
    Oct 11 '17 at 5:42

This isn't about grammar but about creating a mingle of sounds hardly understandable.

There is no rule but flattening all vowels sticking out, omitting the -e, du and shortning -en and even ein to 'n is typical. Often parts of compound words are skipped when they can be guessed from context.

Ich brauche ein neues Auto. – Hast du schon einmal über einen Gebrauchtwagen nachgedacht?

'ch brauchn'neus Auto. — Hast'schoma über'n Gebraucht'n nachj'dacht?

+1, but this is also a matter of dialect. "Nachj'dacht" sounds like Brandenburg or Berlin to me, and I assume someone from Bavaria will use different contractions.
    – Philipp
    Oct 10 '17 at 16:39
  • Bavarian e.g.: "Host iban Brauchtn aa scho noochdocht?" Oct 10 '17 at 18:53
  • @Philipp there's the "icke" for "ich" missing for the Berlin dialect ;) :D Oct 11 '17 at 9:09
  • In Swiss German, the full form may be: «I bruuchen es nöüs Outo. – Hesch scho mal überne Pruuchtwage nachetänkt?» This might be shortened to «I bruuch’s nöüs Out’. – ’sch scho mal übern’ Pruuchtwag’ nach’tänkt?»
    – mach
    Oct 11 '17 at 21:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.