Translate 'stretcher bars' to German. Example:

As an artist I need stretcher bars to prepare a new canvas for making a painting. I also need bars in between the stretcher frame to stabilize the stretcher.

Was ist das auf deutsch?

• To close voters: not all dictionaries give the contextual correct translation. My favorite dictionary claims that it is a Schieberstange. We should not close all questions that may get an answer by consulting a single dictionary, e.g. dict.cc (still there we will get no idea if the answer fits the context).
    – Takkat
    Commented Oct 15, 2017 at 7:04

3 Answers 3

The framework artists stretch their canvas on ("stretcher-frame") is

der Keilrahmen

The parts you use to construct this ("stretcher-bars") are

die Keilrahmenleiste (pl. Keilrahmenleisten)

A stabilizing bar would be

eine Keilrahmenstrebe

Ich schlage vor (unbelastet von tieferem Fachwissen, denn die Keilrahmen, mit denen ich früher mal arbeitete, waren klein und brauchten keine Versteifungen):

Keilrahmenspanner

Spannlatten

Streben

(Kommentator PiedPiper oben erwähnte noch "Keilrahmenleiste". Ob das üblich ist, weiß ich nicht. Ich finde es leicht irreführend. Währe die "Keilrahmenleiste" nicht die Leiste, die den eigentlichen Rahmen bildet?)

The words I was looking for auf Deutsch: Keilrahmen und Zwischenstücke.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.