I learnt a new word die Regierung. I got the pronunciation from dict.cc. But Google translator is not able to understand my pronunciation.

Since I don't have someone who can check with my pronunciation, do I have to improve till the google translator understands?

Speech recognition software will not help you improving your German pronouciation. German speakers have to speak a "Speech recognition slang" to make the computer understand. Imagine trying to speak to your hearing-impaired and slightly senile grandfather. He's still better in understanding than the computer. – Janka Oct 14 '17 at 17:44
    @Janka, I am not sure that this is true anymore. Speech recogntion has improved a lot. – Carsten S Oct 14 '17 at 22:15
    Speech recognistion is generally grossly overestimated. The hearing-impaired grandfather will always be better at it because he has the ability to understand, i.e. to contextualize etc and to make sense of utterances, and to interpolate missing parts based on that. It is a long way to go until machines will be able to do this. If ever. – Christian Geiselmann Oct 14 '17 at 23:00

I recommend you listen to Deutschlandfunk (DLF) - German public radio. They have excellent pronunciation there, and they have talk segments almost at any time of the day. Is available also via internet, e.g. here http://www.deutschlandradio.de/. You will have "Regierung" mentioned there many times each day.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.