The question is on es as highlighted in this excerpt from Die Prinzessin von Cleve (see full text) by Madame de La Fayette.

Am Morgen nach ihrer Ankunft ging sie aus, um sich Geschmeide bei einem Italiener auszusuchen, der für jedermann einen Handel damit trieb. Dieser Mann war mit der Königin aus Florenz gekommen und hatte sich dermaßen an seinem Handel bereichert, daß sein Haus eher dem eines Edelmannes als dem eines Kaufmannes glich. Als sie da nun weilte, kam der Prinz von Cleve dorthin und ward derart von ihrer Schönheit hingerissen, daß er seine Überraschung nicht zu bergen vermochte. Mademoiselle de Chartres konnte ein Rotwerden nicht meistern, wie sie die Bewunderung sah, zu der sie ihn hingerissen hatte. Nichtsdestoweniger bezeigte sie den Handlungen des Prinzen dem Anscheine nach keine andere Aufmerksamkeit, als es ihr die Höflichkeit einem vornehmen Manne gegenüber, wie er einer zu sein schien, erlaubte.

The French original goes like this (full text).

Le lendemain qu’elle fut arrivée, elle alla pour assortir des pierreries chez un italien qui en trafiquait par tout le monde. Cet homme était venu de Florence avec la reine, et s’était tellement enrichi dans son trafic, que sa maison paraissait plutôt celle d’un grand seigneur que d’un marchand. Comme elle y était, le prince de Clèves y arriva : il fut tellement surpris de sa beauté, qu’il ne put cacher sa surprise ; et mademoiselle de Chartres ne put s’empêcher de rougir en voyant l’étonnement qu’elle lui avait donné ; elle se remit néanmoins, sans témoigner d’autre attention aux actions de ce prince que celle que la civilité lui devait donner pour un homme tel qu’il paraissait.

An English translation (from here and here) goes like this though it is not very helpful for the purposes of this question.

The day after her arrival, she went to choose some jewels at a famous Italian's; this man came from Florence with the queen, and had acquired such immense riches by his trade, that his house seemed rather fit for a prince than a merchant; while she was there, the prince of Cleves came in, and was so touched with her beauty, that he could not dissemble his surprise, nor could Mademoiselle de Chartres forbear blushing upon observing the astonishment he was in; nevertheless, she recollected herself, without taking any further notice of him than she was obliged to do in civility to a person of his seeming rank

QUESTION

1. Does es correspond to celle (as highlighted above)?

2. If yes to 1, would die, die or die, welche be the more usual thing to expect in its place, giving us:

Nichtsdestoweniger bezeigte sie den Handlungen des Prinzen dem Anscheine nach keine andere Aufmerksamkeit, als die, welche ihr die Höflichkeit einem vornehmen Manne gegenüber, wie er einer zu sein schien, erlaubte

3. If yes to 1, please comment on whether es here is an aberration or conforms to an established usage.

4. If no to 1, how should I understand es?

BACKGROUND

The question is not about French, but only presumes some knowledge of French in someone who might be able to answer it.

I could have cast it purely as whether substituting die, welche for es is a good way to understand the sentence, but thought the French original would serve as helpful context.

• my gutt feeling tells me that "die,die" is the right way to go, even though the sentence with "es" feals the most natural to me. – ortusolis Oct 15 '17 at 18:28

Unfortunately my French is not good enough to answer your question in regards to that, but I hope I can still shed some light to help with the confusion.

The es is the direct object (akkusativ) to erlauben:

etw. erlauben

means

to allow smth.

If you simplify the sentence in question by leaving out the parenthesis and reorder it, you end up with the following to make it more clear:

Die Höflichkeit erlaubt es ihr, Aufmerksamkeit zu schenken.

The courtesy permits it to her, to show mindfulness.

It sounds rather convoluted in English. In both languages, you could also omit es:

Die Höflichkeit erlaubt ihr, Aufmerksamkeit zu schenken.

The courtesy permits her to show mindfulness.

|improve this answer|||||
  • Thanks. I believe we could also say that es refers to the clause just before als, or its 'idea' (after suitably removing keine andere from it). – Catomic Oct 20 '17 at 6:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.