As I was working on a German workbook, I saw a sentence:

Hoffentlich bringt der Kellner das Essen.

I wonder if I could change it to:

Hoffentlich bringt der Kellner bald das Essen.

• Without any context, the implication of the first sentence isn't set. If it is already a temporal context then adding bald might be possible without changing the implied meaning. – Adwaenyth Oct 17 '17 at 10:48

The second one is normal use case and the better one. "Hoffentlich bringt der Kellner das Essen bald." is possible too. The first sentence is used when you want to be served by a steward and not by back staff.

The first sentence is not incomplete. It just means something different. – tofro Oct 15 '17 at 13:00
  • @tofro yes you are right. I thought about just this moment. – help-info.de Oct 15 '17 at 13:04
  • Your interpretation is still not entirely correct. The speaker simply hopes he is going to be served by the waiter at all. – tofro Oct 15 '17 at 13:09
  • @tofro I would have come up with your interpretation too, but help-info's also makes perfect sense. Since the context is not given, I'm unable to say that only one is correct. – guidot Oct 15 '17 at 15:56
  • @help-info.de - Would it be ungrammatical to place "bald" right after the verb? – Lamplighter Oct 15 '17 at 19:33

The firs sentence:

Depending on how you express the sentence:

This way one expresses the hope, that there will be any food at all.

This way one expresses the wish to be served by the server and not eks. the cook.

Hoffentlich bringt der Kellner bald das Essen.

By adding "bald", the meaning shifts towards a temporal expression.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.