The phrase is used in English with different pronunciation (po-tay-to, po-tah-to), as an example for two different ways of saying the same thing.

Is there a German phrase that can be used in the same way?

I think the English phrase you want to ask about is tomayto – tomahto, as this word is actually features a difference in pronunciation. Potayto – potahto is a thing as well, but doesn’t highlight a real phenomenon. Also note that both English phrases are usually used to express something different than pronunciation varieties. – Wrzlprmft Oct 24 '17 at 10:03
    We recently had "da kommen zwölf auf ein Dutzend". Means the same thing. – tofro Oct 24 '17 at 10:10
    @Wrzlprmft potato, potato is not used to illustrate pronunciation, but should rather be understood as "gehopft wie gesprungen". – tofro Oct 24 '17 at 11:21
    @Philipp ...wenn man bierernst sein will, kann man auch "gehüpft" sagen ... – tofro Oct 24 '17 at 14:08
    @Wrzlprmft: I doubt that, at least I tend to read "two different ways of saying the same thing" in the wider sense of referring to meaning rather than the pronunciation. Note that the initial mention of pronunciation exclusively explains that the word potato is pronounced in two different ways in the phrase "potato, potato". – O. R. Mapper Oct 24 '17 at 20:31

You could say „Das ist gehüpft wie gesprungen.“

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.