I got this below exercise online. Before this I had gone through the three groups(link) of adjective endings. But I am stuck at this kind of mixed sentences(i.e both ein and adjectives come together) as I am not able to put them in those classifications. Under which group below adjectives comes?

Ich wünsche euch einen ____ Tag und eine ___ Nacht. [schön / gut]

First, check the count of Tag and Nacht. If singular, remember their gender. Check the case which goes with wünschen. Then see there's einen/eine in front of the adjective. – Janka Oct 24 '17 at 19:54
  • I didn't get it. Answer or some links would be helpful. – InQusitive Oct 24 '17 at 19:58

Ich wünsche euch einen ____ Tag und eine ___ Nacht. [schön / gut]

You have to collect some information about the sentence first.

The count of Tag and Nacht. It's both singular, so you have to know their gender: It's der Tag and die Nacht.

The verb wünschen. That verb takes up to two objects: an accusative object, which is the thing wished, and an optional dative object which is the person whom the wish should be granted. The dative is euch here, so einen _ Tag und eine _ Nacht has to be the accusative object. One could guess that from einen und eine, too. Dative would be einem und einer.

You know that table with the indefinite article ein, and you have collected all the necessary information, so you can fill in the declined adjectives:

Ich wünsche euch einen schönen Tag und eine gute Nacht.

Edit: relevant declension tables

»ein«            | »einige/mehrere/viele etc.«
     m   f   n   | p 
nom  -   e   -   | - 
gen  es  er  es  | r
dat  em  er  em  | n
acc  en  e   -   | -

»adjective predeced by ein/einige/mehrere etc.«
     m   f   n   p
nom  er  e   es  e
gen  en  en  en  er
dat  en  en  en  en
acc  en  e   es  e
  • So is it that I can decide it by looking at the ein table and fill for the schön and gut? I mean endings of ein and schön are same? – InQusitive Oct 25 '17 at 7:37
  • Right, you have to look at the »ein preceded adjective« table because you have an ein preceding the adjective. And wrong, the endings of ein and the adjective aren't the same. Ein/einige/viele etc. itself has a different declension. – Janka Oct 25 '17 at 8:31
  • Ok, Now I got it. – InQusitive Oct 25 '17 at 10:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.