I'm learning German these days. I saw in a book that vor allem has the idiomatic meaning first of all. But to my confusion there is the example sentence

Die Leute liebten vor allen das gelbe Auto.

When should I use vor allem and when vor allen?

ADD

Later I saw in the grammar book :
For the pronoun all, when it refers to things, it's regarded as neutral, singular (so ..em) and when it refers to people it is regarded as plural (so ..en). (when they are after preposition I guess)

Einige sind mit allem einverstanden. (Some people agree with everything)

Wir haben vorher mit allen diskutiert. (We have discussed it with everyone before)

The example sentence is likely wrong (it is grammatically sound, but it's difficult to come up with a scenario where it would make any sense). – Annatar Oct 25 '17 at 12:45
    Where did you find this? Could you give the usual bigliographic data?- I have a growing impression is that recently a lot of not-so-well-written German textbooks are on the market... – Christian Geiselmann Oct 25 '17 at 16:32
  • @ChristianGeiselmann it's a basic German grammar book for beginners(in Korea). I guess in the example sentence if it were vor allem, then the sentence is correct. (I mean it should be a typo of vor allem). – Chan Kim Oct 26 '17 at 2:20
  • Your example sentence would translate to "People loved the yellow car in front of everyone else" which was probably not intended. – tofro Nov 25 '17 at 20:08

vor allem can be translated to especially, whereas vor allen can be translated into 'before everyone else' or 'in front of everyone'.

In general the word alle means all. Allem is in the third case and allem in fourth case. Allem can be used with objects and allen with people generally spoken

• Then, Allem in 3rd case neutral, allen in 3rd case adjective for the following plural noun. Isn't is so? (for allen = for allen Anderen or leute.) – Chan Kim Oct 25 '17 at 15:41

The meaning is slightly different whether you use "vor allen" or "vor allem". The following examples may help:

Er war erster, er kam vor allen anderen ins Ziel.
Das lag vor allem daran, dass er der schnellste war.

You see that in the second sentence the reason is more or less unspecific. He was the first, because of several reasons, but "vor allem", because he was the fastest. You may extend the sentence as follows:

Das lag vor allem anderen daran, dass ...
Das lag hauptsächlich daran, dass ...
Das lag vor allen Dingen daran, dass ...
Das lag vor allen anderen Dingen daran, dass ...
Das lag vor allem, was es gibt, daran, dass ...

Indeed, the comment of The_javascript_King is right. Your example is rather unusual, especially in combination with "Leute".

Now I take, in your first sentence it's allen (-en) because it's 3rd case(after preposition vor) before pluran(anderen). and vor allem is the idiom and allem is a noun. Isn't it correct? – Chan Kim Oct 26 '17 at 2:23
  • @ChanKim vor allem is not an idiom here. It's grammatically correct. Vor allen would mean something totally different, and is almost certainly a mistake – PiedPiper Oct 26 '17 at 11:53
  • I was more curious about the grammar explanation and now find Java king's explanation is more releavant. :) – Chan Kim Oct 26 '17 at 15:23
  • I added some imfo to my question. – Chan Kim Oct 26 '17 at 15:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.