Can I use here in this sentence "damit" instead of "weil" ?

You can write this:

Ich bewege mich viel, damit ich gesund bleibe.

Let's compare these sentences:

1. Ich bewege mich viel, weil ich gesund bleiben will.
  2. Ich bewege mich viel, damit ich gesund bleibe.

In a higher level both sentences express the same, but in a very basic meaning they are different:

In 1 you start with a wish (that came into your mind in the past): "I want to stay healthy", and this wish causes you to move a lot. So you move now, to fulfill a wish that was there before you started to move.

In 2 you have a goal for the future: "I want to stay healthy", and you move a lot to reach this future/prospective goal.

My English is not the best, but I think you can translate those sentences this way into english:

1. I move a lot because I want to stay healthy.
  2. I move a lot so I can stay healthy.

I think, you had this in your mind:

1. Ich bewege mich viel, damit ich gesund bleiben will.

But this is wrong. When you say this, you in fact say something like this:

1. I move a lot so I wish to stay healthy.
| improve this answer | |

Grammatically this sentence would be correct however the sentence would not make sense in most situations.

In both cases (weil and damit) the sub-ordinate sentence describes the reason why something described in the main sentence is done.

However there is the following difference:

Using weil the "activity" in the main sentence is the consequence of the "activity" in the sub-ordinate sentence.

Using damit it is the other way round: The "activity" in the sub-ordinate sentence is the consequence of the "activity" in the main sentence.

Let's look at the following two sentences (which differ only on one word):

Ich fahre langsam, weil das andere Auto mich überholt.

I drive slowly because the other car (already) passes.

Ich fahre langsam, damit das andere Auto mich überholt.

I drive slowly because the other car shall pass.

A combination of "damit" and "wollen" is however possible:

Die Eltern versprechen ihrem Sohn etwas, damit er auf die Reise mitgehen will.

The parents promise something because they want that their son wants to take part in the journey.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.