In English, Run for Food is used as a title for charity events. Food (for others) is a reward for running, nobody is actually physically running to retrieve food.

How would that translate to German correctly? Laufen für Essen or Lauf für Essen? Or will either variation work?

I wouldn't use any of your proposals. I would call it:

Essenslauf

Because the German noun »der Lauf« is the English noun »the run«, and »der Essenslauf« literally is »the food run«

But when, however, you combine Essen and Lauf/Laufen: It always sounds weird in German.

There are charity runs in German spoken countries too, but they almost always have English names, because it sounds so unusual in German:

Or you only say »Spendenlauf« (which is charity run):

• Der "Hand in Hand Spendenlauf" müsste eigentlich richtig mit Bindestrichen geschrieben werden. Da es ein Eigenname ist, lassen wir ihm das mal durchgehen. – tofro Nov 18 '17 at 11:03
  • @tofro: Ich habs mit Copy&Paste von der Website geholt – Hubert Schölnast Nov 18 '17 at 16:29

Lauf für Essen is the imperative form as in Run for food! while Laufen für Essen is the infinitive (to run for food).

This sounds like a competition or charity event. You can chose either but personally I'd go with the Laufen für Essen. If this is not the case, maybe you could specify a little further, so we can try to find a more fitting translation.

• This is more of a motto rather than a call to action, so I would say that the imperative form is a little more appropriate in this case right? – Seth Oct 29 '17 at 17:23
  • I agree with you. – infinitezero Oct 29 '17 at 17:52
    We still are left alone in the fog what type of event this is, and I think knowing this is necessary for giving a good answer. In the meantime I vote for Laufen für Saufen. – Christian Geiselmann Oct 29 '17 at 21:48

If you'd go for a crisp expression, you would probably choose something like

Tafellauf

Knowing "die Tafel" is a German charity organisation that collects leftover food for the poor and the word sounds similar to Staffellauf (relay race) in German.

EDIT: And, someone already seems to have had the same idea: A quick search on the internet shows some charity runs that were actually named like that.

• Das vermeidet immerhin die Mehrdeutigkeit von Essen, "Lauf für Essen", "Radtour für Dortmund". :) "Nahrung" wäre auch eine Möglichkeit. – user unknown Oct 30 '17 at 22:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.