Ich gebe meiner Oma ein Stück Kuchen.

So replacing "ein Stück Kuchen", is the following correct?

Ich gebe meiner Oma es.

• "Ich gebe meiner Oma es" sounds more like "(I don't give it to my father,) i'll give it to my granny (instead)!" ... I'd use "Ich gebe es meiner Oma" instead – Tommylee2k Nov 9 '17 at 12:28

Ich gebe meiner Oma ein Stück Kuchen.

Ich gebe meiner Oma es. (only poetical)

No, it has to be

Ich gebe es meiner Oma.

If there's a personal pronoun in the row of objects, it leads the row:

Ich gebe ihr ein Stück Kuchen. (meiner Oma → ihr)

If there are multiple personal pronouns as objects, the order is accusative, dative, genitive:

Ich gebe es ihr.

"Ich gebe ihr es" is also perfectly fine, I'd say. Only a slight difference in emphasis. And yours is of course more common. – Annatar Nov 9 '17 at 12:44
  • I first thought the same but now I think that's just sloppy speech. With the accusative-genitive order, it sticks out even more: Ich erinnere mich dessen. – Janka Nov 9 '17 at 12:48
  • "Ich erinnere dessen mich" is definitely weird, agreed. Maybe "ihr es" really is just sloppy as well. This touches the philosophical question of what is "proper" German and what isn't (Duden rules vs. language community convention). – Annatar Nov 9 '17 at 13:08
  • oh so for any situation, if there is a personal pronoun of multiple objects, the personal pronoun will precede the other objects? Also, how would you replace zum Artz in the following sentence? Mueller hat seine Oma zum Arzt gefahren. – J. Wilshere Nov 9 '17 at 13:32
  • Ich gebe ihr eines - fehlt noch. – Takkat Nov 9 '17 at 13:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.