1. Ich schreibe an die Tafel.

2. Ich schreibe an der Tafel.

Are they both correct? And what’s the difference?

• 1) isn't quite correct. You'd only use this in combination with a direct object as well: Ich schreibe den Satz/die Aufgabe/es/... an die Tafel. – Kilian Foth Nov 11 '17 at 9:16
  • @KilianFoth okay , and the second sentence wouldn‘t need a direct object ? – user30598 Nov 11 '17 at 9:40

They are both correct.

The difference is:

• Ich schreibe an die Tafel means I write something onto the blackboard (or whiteboard, depending on the setup).

• Ich schreibe etwas an der Tafel means I write something while standing at the blackboard. It is not necessary to use the blackboard in that sentence, I could also write something to a sheet of paper while standing there.

The first stresses the action of writing to a blackboard, the second stresses my position when writing something (that still MIGHT be writing on the blackboard, but not necessarily).

Oh , i see . Now it‘s clear . Thank you Torsten 😊 – user30598 Nov 11 '17 at 7:58

German has nine dual-way prepositions, these are an, auf, hinter, neben, in, über, unter, vor and zwischen. For those nine prepositions (and only for those), the preposition+accusative means a different thing than preposition+dative. With verbs of motion, this is usually the difference between direction and position.

Ich gehe an den Strand. (accusative)

I walk to the beach.

Ich gehe am/an dem Strand. (dative)

I walk on the beach.

The exact meanings depend on the verb. For schreiben, it's

Ich schreibe (etwas) an die Tafel. (accusative)

I write (something) onto the blackboard.

Ich schreibe an der Tafel. (dative)

I write at the blackboard.

Thank you Janka for the comprehensive explanation , i already studied the Wechsel Prepositions , but you know , there‘s always exceptions ( Ausnahmen ) that need an explanation , schwimmen and tanzen for example , not regarded as motion for the German . German Preposition is always a nightmare to me 😢 – user30598 Nov 11 '17 at 14:00
    As English ones are for German speakers. – Janka Nov 11 '17 at 14:26
  • Uh? Schwimmen and tanzen are perfectly regular motion verbs. Ankommen for example isn't. Maybe you mistake direction as motion? – Janka Nov 11 '17 at 14:28
  • Well , i’m not really sure but i remember my German teacher once told me , “ we , the Germans don’t regard the See as a room “ so when someone swim in the see , this action is don’t regarded as a “ Bewegung “ !! – user30598 Nov 11 '17 at 16:22
    Erst schwimmen die Fische in das Netz, danach schwimmen sie im Netz. This is direction vs. position. – Janka Nov 11 '17 at 16:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.