At this list of colloquial German terms, "Bitteschön" is defined as "Bedank dich gefälligst bei mir, du ungehobeltes Arschloch!". When I say "Bitte schön" to thank someone, this is obviously not the intended meaning. My questions are:

1. Does this difference in meaning really exist? Is Buzzfeed stretching the truth?
  2. If bitteschön really does imply this negative, is there a difference in the way it is said to differentiate it to "bitte schön"?
    The article is satire! – PiedPiper Nov 14 '17 at 22:13
  • It still is a valid question, in my opinion. See my answer. – Philipp Nov 15 '17 at 8:05

There is no difference in meaning between "bitteschön" and "bitte schön"

There might be a difference from context:

1. "Bitteschön" in response to a "Danke!" would mean what you expect, no negative connotation
  2. Giving a "Bitteschön" to a person you helped with no thanks would definitely mean what you found - in any language. Giving a "You're welcome" to someone who didn't thank you for help that was provided would mean the same thing in English.
  • Thanks. I have spoken to my German teacher (a native German speaker) and she also believes this, specifically saying "bitte schön" in a response to a missing "danke schön" is a way of getting back at the impoliteness. – Andrew Alcock Nov 15 '17 at 8:58

Just a little common sense would help to recognize the article as sitirical. Still, the question is valid, and “bitte schön” may carry a negative connotation. It depends on the context, and may often (but not always) be distinguished from its friendly sibling “bitte schön” by the tone in which it is uttered.

The same applies to many (if not all) of the other examples of the buzzfeed article.

First of all, the web page is meant as a joke, and the definitions are all but generally valid.

Maybe the confusion arises, because bitteschön is written as one word there, and now you seems to think that this bitteschön may have a meaning that is different from bitte schön written as two words. However, the compounding of bitte and schön on that web page is simply a spelling error.

• A spelling error? duden.de/rechtschreibung/Bitteschoen – dessert Nov 14 '17 at 21:05
    @dessert: that is the noun ("ein Bitteschön"). Anyway, it does not have the meaning "Bedank dich gefälligst bei mir, du ungehobeltes Arschloch!" in any of those spellings. – Rudy Velthuis Nov 14 '17 at 23:37
    FWIW, "Bitte schön" is not "thank you" ("danke schön"), it means "(t)here you are", or "you're welcome", depending on context. – Rudy Velthuis Nov 14 '17 at 23:39
  • @RudyVelthuis: Of course, sorry. When I wrote it, I was already tired. Thank you :-) for pointing out this stupid error. – Björn Friedrich Nov 15 '17 at 8:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.