I am watching the movie Das Boot in German with English Subtitles, but there is one part where the captain says braggart (based on subtitles) in German. I couldn't really hear what he said, but it sounded like

"Mauhelden".

I couldn't find anything when I googled "Mauhelden" and didn't correct it to the right word. If I specifically translate "braggart" to German, I get "Prahler/Angeber". What is the word he used and where does it come from (as in what region of Germany)?

closed as off-topic by Robert, Philipp, RHa, PiedPiper, Torsten Link Nov 29 '17 at 10:11

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace dictionaries, grammar books or similar. If you have already consulted such general references and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – Robert, Philipp, RHa, PiedPiper, Torsten Link
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

The dictionary BEOLINGUS gives Maulheld as translation of braggart, and dict.cc, too. Wiktionary has an entry for Maulheld, and DWDS, too. – unor Nov 29 '17 at 4:03
    You heared "Maulhelden" and as @unor mentioned this word is translated to braggart and has the meanings you found out. – IQV Nov 29 '17 at 6:36
    And should you wonder, Maulheld is literally yap hero. – Janka Nov 29 '17 at 6:49
  • Maulheld, Angeber or Aufschneider would be appropriate translations. – Rudy Velthuis Nov 29 '17 at 7:30
  • I saw someone voted to close this question due to being off-topic (“GermanSE is not a replacement for general references”), and initially I did not agree with that, because it may be difficult to find a word if you do not know its spelling, particularly if one of the first letters is wrong or missing. However, google.de finds the correct term, google.com also does (still on the first page of the list of results) and duden.de suggests Maulheldentum. There’s no difficulty after all, hence I agree to the close vote. – Philipp Nov 29 '17 at 7:47

"Maulhelden" - any plural plural form of "Maulheld" or any singular except Nominativ.
Literally translated: "hero of/by her/his mouth".
So, "braggart(s)" indeed.

• is it plural or accusative (or a different case)? – abbabab Nov 29 '17 at 11:08

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.