What is the German equivalent of the English "(Ed.)" used in footnotes to indicate an editor's note? Yes, I have tried dict.leo.org and dict.cc and could not find anything.

  • 2
    Can you give a more concrete example, i.e. a full note? Depending on the context it could be "Anm." (for "Anmerkung"), e.g. "Anmerkung des Bearbeiters". "Editor" is usually translated as Herausgeber (Hrsg.)
    – Ingmar
    Dec 5, 2017 at 19:41
  • I often see "Anm. der Red" when the editor of a journalistic outlet remarks something into a quotation or similar.
    – abbabab
    Dec 6, 2017 at 9:53

1 Answer 1


The most common are:

Anm. d. Verf. / A.d.V. – Anmerkung des Verfassers (author's note)

Anm. d. Üb. / A.d.Ü. – Anmerkung des Übersetzers (translator's note)

Anm. d. Hrsg. / A.d.H. – Anmerkung des Herausgebers (publisher's note)

  • 3
    "Anm. d. Red. / A.d.R. - Anmerkung der Redaktion" should also be in this List
    – RoyPJ
    Dec 6, 2017 at 13:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.